Averitt has a pandemic plan in place that includes contingency plans for possible work disruption issues. This plan is updated almost daily and is being shared with all levels of leadership.
- Averitt Provides Masks To 5,000+ Drivers & Frontline Associates
- Transportation Industry Service Updates (Frequently Changing)
- A Message From Averitt's President & COO (Video)
- Thank You Message To Averitt Associates (Video)
- A Note Of Appreciation For Our Customers
- Our Continued Commitment To Shippers
Operational Adjustments & Procedures To Be Aware Of
Delivery Receipt Procedure Modification
Effective March 24, 2020, we will not require a consignee signature on a Delivery Receipt if the consignee does not feel comfortable due to social distancing guidelines.
In this situation, our driver will:
- Print the receiver’s name in the appropriate location, then note that the driver entered the name by initialing the printed name.
- Enter COVID-19 as the signature and, as always, enter the company name the freight is being delivering to. See example below
- Leave the consignee’s copy of the DR with the freight or instruct the consignee to print a copy from AverittExpress.com.
- In the event a DR cannot be left with consignee, the customer can visit AverittExpress.com to obtain a digital copy.
Dock Pickup Procedure Modification
Effective March 24, 2020, customers authorized to pick up at an Averitt dock must make an appointment.
- The customer will be directed to the ramp or designated loading area. Please stay in or with their vehicle.
- Averitt associates will write the customer’s vehicle license plate number on the delivery receipt instead of the customer’s driver’s license number.
- An Averitt dock associate will retrieve the shipment and ask the customer to sign the delivery receipt prior to loading.
- If the customer prefers not to sign the DR out of COVID-19 virus concerns, Averitt associates will complete the modified DR protocol.
Inside Deliveries FOr Residential Locations
Effective March 25, 2020, we are suspending Inside Delivery at residential locations.
- We will continue to deliver to the front door or inside the garage of the residence, when possible for the consignee, but our drivers are restricted from entering the home.
Preventive Steps Averitt Is Taking As A Company
- Our attendance policy has been adjusted to not allow associates who have viral symptoms at work
- When possible, office-based associates are able to telecommute
- Associates are actively utilizing "social distancing" practices in facilities and encouraged to practice the same techniques in their personal lives
- Good health hygiene, as promoted by the CDC, is being stressed daily by leadership
- Facilities are being cleaned and sanitized on a frequent basis
- Company gatherings and meetings have been suspended until further notice
- Sanitizers and wipes are being provided for office personnel and in-cab for drivers
- Screening associates who have traveled overseas to determine quarantine needs according to CDC guidance
- Screening outside vendors for possible contact with infected persons
Adhering to guidance stemming from national emergency declaration
- We are reviewing and implementing CDC and WHO guidance daily
Sales-Related Preventive Actions
- International business trips by associates are suspended until further notice
- When possible, sales associates are engaging in sales calls and customer meetings via phone and teleconference
In The Event An Averitt Associate Tests Positive
- If an Averitt associate tests positive for COVID-19 and has come into contact with any customers within 14 days of testing positive (before/after testing), Averitt will immediately notify the customers
In Terms of Potential Impact On Service
- Averitt is maintaining delivery services except where limited by government restrictions
- Any changes to operations will be communicated to impacted customers and updated on our website
regarding packaging and imported cargo
According to the CDC, two other coronaviruses have emerged previously causing severe illness in people (MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV). While the CDC has not indicated for sure that this virus will behave the same way as SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, they have pointed to the information gained from both earlier coronaviruses for guidance.
Because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, the CDC has confirmed there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Again, according to CDC, there is currently no evidence to support transmission of COVID-19 associated with imported goods. None of the confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the United States have been associated with imported goods.
Averitt Is Continuously Monitoring & Adapting
Averitt continues to monitor this situation and hopes to have more definitive information as the situation develops. For additional information, the CDC has set up a website (Coronavirus Disease 2019, available at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.html) to provide information as it becomes available.
We value our Customers, our Associates, and our Future. We are communicating precautions and awareness to our internal associates and will continue to communicate with you as the situation develops.